Friday, November 26, 2010

A Family Thanksgiving

Gary and I celebrated Thanksgiving this year with my entire extended Italian family (with the exception of my sister and mom - who we "skyped" in from San Diego, CA via laptop computer). The meal was a typical 5-course Italian holiday dinner:

Antipasto (my contribution - pictured)
Primo: lasagna
Secondo: organic turkey (Griggstown Farm)
Contorni: yams and marshmallows, two types of stuffing, green beans, breaded asparagus, spaghetti squash, mash potatoes, cranberry jello, stuffed mushrooms
Dolce: cannoli, chocolate cake, pie (apple and blueberry), cookies, pumpkin cheesecake

The nicest part of the dinner, however, wasn't the incredible food - rather it was the people around the dinner table who made it a day I'll always treasure - Gary, my uncle, my aunt, my grandparents, my cousins...we were all together, in one place, simultaneously sharing memories and making them.

Of course, one dinner table topic of conversation was my health - everyone wanted to know: is the cancer gone? I guess you could say that I'm in remission, since technically that means that you aren't showing signs or symptoms of the cancer. Remission, however, does not mean "cured" - even if you do not show signs or symptoms, cancer cells may still be growing like crazy. Also, my neuroendocrine system has been forever effected as a result of the cancer- and fevers and pain are still a daily struggle. So I guess I just don't have a solid answer. There is part of me that wants to say, "yup - 100% A-OK, don't worry - nothing to see here - everything is perfect"... and then there is the other part of me that wants to say, "it's too early to tell so don't leave my side for too long"... Regardless of what the cancer may or may not do in the future, right now - I am so very grateful for the time I have.

A Pre-Dinner Read
Three Generations: my grandmother, aunt and cousin



Watching Thanksgiving Football
Three Generations: my grandfather, uncle and cousins
Bonus: a picture of my great grandfather and his father playing bocce ball

Double Bonus: Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment