Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hospital - Day Two (Beauty and Hope)



Today my mom signed me up for a very special program called "look good, feel better", which is a free, non-medical, brand-neutral, national public service program created to help individuals with cancer look good, improve their self-esteem, and manage their treatment with greater confidence.

I should have seen it coming ... My mom's nickname is "Julie the Cruise Director" (after the TV Love Boat character) because she always has a little adventure up her sleeve. Whenever I visit her in CA, there is literally a daily itinerary scribbled on the back of a used envelope - taped to the refrigerator door. So leave it to her to add "fun" to my "fighting cancer" agenda.

About six patients were treated to a complete make over, complete with a make-up bag full of designer make up to keep. This program, along with the patient recreation room (also on my floor), were recently featured in a NY Times article. The volunteer in the picture on the left, all in pink, was actually my make-up artist and my angel...she made me feel about a million feet tall.

Minor set backs today included needing to get foley catheter put back in, a lot of nausea / throwing up, and a treatment of magnesium and potassium which basically feels like fire being injected into your veins. Tomorrow the epidural should come out... I hope the pain is ok.

In the words of Billy Crystal, it doesn't matter if you feel terrible as long as you "look absolutely mahvelous dahling" ...he was on to something; it definitely helps to face challenges with a smile (especially if that smile is perfectly coated in high-end shimmery pink lip gloss).

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment