Thursday, December 1, 2011

An Italian Thanksgiving

My small contribution to dinner: Antipasto (marinated olives, prosciutto, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, provolone cheese, roasted peppers, ham, three types of salami); Manhattan Coffee Soda; and Rainbow Cookies.

88 years old and still a "leg man"
Before Thanksgiving break, I was in debilitating pain. Everyone at school pitched in, and somehow I managed with their help. In between the pain and teaching classes, I got quite a few surprise visits from seniors whom I taught last year. It was wonderful to hear their college stories, and I was truly humbled by the  fact that they were so excited to share their stories with me.

My Uncle Frank - cutting the bird

I slept most of Tuesday (after getting home from school and grocery shopping) and all of Wednesday... so by the time Thursday rolled around, I was feeling up to dinner at my uncle's house. It was a perfect meal - with all my family gathered together in one spot. We were even able to skype-in my mom, dad, sister, and dogs using my uncle's large screen Web-TV. (And yes, my mom actually held up each of the dogs in turn so I could see them)

This Thanksgiving, I am also especially grateful for the carcinoid community - and I draw on their love, strength, support and courage every single day.


My grandparents have been married for over 60 years - and at dinner, they were holding hands under the table.. so cute!
The Family (minus CA crew and 3 cousins who were running late)
Typical post-turkey chat between grandpa and Gary... the black and white picture in the background is of my great-grandfather (Sicilian immigrant) playing bocce ball



1 comment:

  1. What a great post. So sad I missed the celebration. Much love sistah <3

    ReplyDelete