Friday, January 7, 2011

ASCO Cancer Foundation's Calendar

It's a new year, and time for a new calendar.

Excitingly, this year, one calendar in particular has very special meaning for me. The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Cancer Foundation is the leading professional organization representing physicians who care for people with cancer. Its mission is to improve cancer care and prevention.

Every year, the ASCO solicits artist submissions from cancer survivors and their families for their calendar: "Expressions of Hope". My mother, a talented painter, submitted a small oil painting of a little bird, which was selected for the month of April:

American Society of Clinical Oncology Calendar


Month of April: my mother's painting "The Song Bird" and a quote


My mom's quote reads: "While [Marlena's] most recent surgery was successful, the recovery was difficult with a slew of minor complications which wore down her spirit; my song bird seemed to have lost her voice. I reassured her that this latest challenge could be met... with grace and dignity."

Now, a reflection of my mother's strength and talent will not only enrich my life, but will also grace the walls of thousands of doctors who help patients find hope in the fight against cancer. Thanks mom. (For more of my mom's paintings, visit her online gallery.)

Splendour in the Grass - William Wordsworth

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find,
Strength in what remains behind...

Click HERE to see the write up about my mom's painting on the Carcinoid Cancer Foundation's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment